Friday, August 23, 2013

The Virginia Reel is alive and well in downtown Fort Wayne!

Tonight was the special event at the Allen County Library. You had your choice of researching at the Genealogy Center until midnight, attending a program about the War of 1812, or . . . . . . .

dancing in the Great Hall.  As we were researching our ancestors on the 2nd floor, music slowing started filtering into the Genealogy Center. People . . .

started to abandon their research and head for the balcony where for a minute we thought our Civil War ancestors had come to life. Library guests lined the balcony and watched the dancing -- Civil War style. The ladies were in their

finest attire, all ready to compete with Scarlett O'Hara.  The men . . . . . .
 were all set to take on Rhett Butler!! As I was leaving the library . . . . . . .
the group was still dancing the night away.

Many years ago when I attended my first conference, there was a lecture about finding the book with your ancestors in it. Well, tonight at the library, I found that book. Rices in America and it wasn't a book about grain!! I now have tons of clues for researching my family in Virginia, Kentucky, and Wales.

If you are looking for a good portable scanner, check out the Flip Pal booth in the Exhibit Hall. It is booth #424 & 426. I bought mine at the OGS Conference a few months ago. You can scan everything in size from photos to large books. I love mine and use it all the time. Exhibit hall open from 9am to 3:30pm on Saturday.

I will be leaving tomorrow. Downtown Fort Wayne is amazing. It has improved so much since the last time I was here. I watched the fireworks at the ball park from the hotel tonight. My Fitbit is on overload. It didn't believe someone could log in so many steps. Hope all you had as good a time here as I did

No comments:

Post a Comment