Sunday, September 1, 2013

What I learned in Fort Wayne last month!

Whew! The past few weeks have been fun and busy. Getting ready for, attending, and coming back home from the FGS Conference took up the major part of August. I, myself, have wonderful experiences from the conference. One of my goals, in addition to learning some "new stuff" for my own research, I also wanted to see what others learned from the conference. So. . . . . .

Social media is playing a major role in connecting families. Whether it is Facebook, forums on Ancestry, Family Search trees, or blogs -- people are connecting to share family research information. Of course you have to evaluate the information. Just remember everything is a clue. Never disregard anything you are told. There is always a certain percentage of truth in family folklore.

Vera Bradley bags at the Allen County Library are usually "to die for".  I guess that means we should ditch those old bags from former conferences and only use Vera Bradley for research in Fort Wayne. Thank goodness I chose Vera Bradley for my iPone. 

Researching in courthouses still means you need to dress like a lawyer and never let on that the person you are looking for is your 4 times great grandfather. I thought those days were over. I really thought we had gained a little bit of respect. 

Biggest regret: Not printing out adhesive name/address/phone number labels to attach to door prize tickets. 

Most surprising (that a few people even knew about): Did you know there are Library Cart Drill Teams? That could give you a little bit of clout in the stacks!! Seriously. Google it. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment