Wednesday, August 29, 2018

What I did on my summer conference vacation!

I always see the FGS Conference as the end of the season. Now I am looking forward to the beginning of the genealogical organization meeting season; followed by the holidays, and then onto a new year of research, networking, and conferences. 

This year's FGS Conference brought a lot of new experiences for me. Of course, the best was my daughter's first conference. Our biggest fear is that our research  will land in the dumpster after our funerals. In order to prevent this we do out best to instill a love of family research in our children. Fortunately my daughter caught the genealogy bug - but not because of my family. Instead her husband's family got her attention. And what an interesting family it  is. But then she became interested in my mother's crazy family. So I think she is here to stay in the world of genealogy.

I learned more about DNA and how to evaluate the results. I wasn't surprised to find out that DNA won't tell you anything if you have not done your homework. I always say that you need to know how to do "old school genealogical research". It is the foundation of all family research. I feel fortunate that I began my genealogy life in the days before the internet. I had no other option and I learned patience. 

I appreciate the internet and DNA but I really think we need to stress the importance of visiting your local library, repositories, and historical societies. There is nothing that compares to seeing the actual record books that were created when your ancestors were born, married, or died.

The other thing that I learned is somewhere along the way I got older. I finally gave in and bought a walker. Oh, how I dreaded being the only person there with one of these things. To my surprise, I was not alone and it is actually rather convenient. You can sit down anywhere you want to. I might even rent a scooter next time! lol





No comments:

Post a Comment