Thursday, August 23, 2018

On The Road Again

For the first time in about 4 years I am in Fort Wayne, Indiana, for the FGS conference. Along with thousands of other family researchers. The last time I was here DNA was a brand new genealogy tool and nobody understood it. We still aren't clear about how to incorporate it into our genealogy research but now we have experts who can explain this new concept.

I was very impressed with the speakers I listened to today. I definitely learned a lot. I verified what I always suspected -- that DNA doesn't work without a solid base of basic genealogy research. In other words it will not give you a list of your ancestors. Also, your success  will depend on how large your data base is. One thing that stood out at all the sessions was the importance of DNA for finding birth parents. Complicated, yet doable.

As for the exhibit hall, there is so much going on. For free!! Mini workshops. Raffles. Door prizes. Special pricing on DNA kits. There are a lot of unique and new booths along with the large well-known web sites. 

Of course the Allen County Library needs no introduction. I have always thought that conference hotel pricing should exist for a week after the conference so everyone has a chance to research at the library.

But the big thing for me this year is (drum roll, please) my daughter will be attending her first genealogy conference tomorrow. The torch is passed! It will be fun and I imagine eye-opening to witness someone visiting  their very first ever conference. I take the whole event for granted after years of conference. It will be interesting to just sit back and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment