Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas Crafts

I have one Christmas craft. Christmas stockings.

Everyone in the family has a homemade stocking. If you are born into the family, you get your very own stocking once you turn one year old. If you marry into the family you get your stocking after the wedding. If you leave the family, we recycle your stocking after the divorce.

I created the very first stocking for my son from a pattern I found at a local fabric store. After my first daughter was born I decided to make her a stocking so I created the  pattern for that one and that started the tradition that has lasted for over 40 years.

When I remarried I made a stocking for myself and one for my husband. When our daughter was born I made one for her. For a long time we had only five stockings hanging from the mantle. That worked just fine.

Then the grandchildren arrived -- an even dozen and we started running out of room on the mantle.

We made room on the mantle by recycling a few stockings much to our regret. But that is life. Stockings come and stockings go.

This year I am making Willie's stocking. He is the youngest grandchild and I have to admit I am running out of ideas. I will let you know how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment