Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Off to the FGS Conterence 2020 in my jammies!!

A year ago the FGS Conference was held in Washington DC. This year the Federation of Genealogical Societies will hold its final conference and due to the Covid 19 restrictions on large gatherings, it will be held online. Since the virus hit this country I now attend church online, attend lectures online, and now  i will be attending a major genealogy conference online. I kinda like it. Yes, I'm definitely spoiled.

Attending a conference can be labor intensive. Pack, load the car, drive several hours rain or shine, unload the car, locate my room, unpack, get my registration packet, find a restaurant, back to my room, jammies on and crash! 

Not this year!! This year I can do all that in my jammies, without the driving and packing. I remember the 2012 NGS Conference in Cincinnati. The Duke Energy Center was so big that I walked the soles off of my shoes. This year who needs shoes?!

So far this new experience has gone quite well. The test today for the Live Sessions tomorrow was simple and quick. The syllabus loaded quickly and without a hitch. The syllabus, by the way, is amazing with lots of information on each session. That is going to make it easier to pick out the 20 sessions I am getting in the registration I chose.

This year's conference kicks off tomorrow with Live! Event speakers from 11-7. Topics range from former pandemics in the world and genetic detective strategies to African American research and Google search methods. The live feed begins at 10:30 so we all have time to get on the same virtual page.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment