Friday, September 4, 2020

FGS Virtual 2020 Conference had a lot of perks for seniors.

The first part of the FGS Virtual Conference is over and I am back home. Oh, Wait! I never left home. Sweet. I really believe this should continue to be an option for those of us who are seniors. Granted I missed seeing old friends and making new ones, but the convenience of being able to stay home is more important for me now.

When I first registered I didn't realize the convenience and frugal perks that were in store. First thing that hit me was that I am not paying over $100 a night for a room. That is at least a $300 savings right off the bat. In addition the cost of eating out for three days saved me at least $60. Fuel saving was about $30. All together that was almost twice the price of the conference.

But more importantly, the conference was not labor intensive. I didn't have to pack everything and load it in the trunk of my car. And once I got to the conference hotel I did not have to . . . . . well I don't even want to think about that parade. When the conference was over I didn't have to do all of that in reverse. I'm not the spring chicken I used to be so this is a blessing. Walking is not my strong suit any more.

My church has been doing virtual services since March and the council recently voted to install the equipment needed to continue this into the future. Apparently attendance at church services has increased. I would not stop attending church in person because I still want to see all my friends on Saturday afternoons. However, there are days when I just can't make it to church in person due to pain or weather.

On September 15 the second phase of the conference begins. The exhibit hall will be open until October 15. The On Demand sessions will be available until March 15, 2021.

FYI: For anyone attending this conference, please make sure that you sign in to your own account. When I tried to order my On Demand sessions, I found out that there is more than one of me at this event. This is not a surprise since it has happened to me at past conferences. We get the wrong rooms, wrong packets, and when the credit card bill arrives we find that we are paying twice for everything. BUT when one of us wins a door prize we all get a prize. And yes we won a very nice door prize this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment