Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Oooops! There are two of me at the conference.

PictureArrived at Kalahari this afternoon around 3:30pm. I parked in the parking lot close to the entrance, went inside and checked in. After I found my room and got my bearings in this mammoth resort, I went back to my get my car. 
I then chose to go "up the hill" to the main entrance to unload my car. It was amazingly easy. There are plenty of luggage carts right inside the entrance. I parked my car in one of the many temporary parking spaces, unloaded my stuff onto the cart and took it to my room. Then I returned the cart, jumped back in my car, and parked in the parking lot area near the convention center. I much prefer this instead of watching my clothes, computer, and research disappear into an unknown room in a hotel while I take off in the other direction to check in. 

If you are staying in one of the nearby hotels, plan on parking way in the back of the resort property by the convention center. And don't worry about going hungry! There is so much food here. And if you look at candy and ice cream as a major food group -- you are absolutely in the right place.

The first time I was in the conference area I found it to be slightly confusing. And then everything else got extremely confusing. I picked up my conference packet and sat down in a nearby chair to check the contents. (This is something you should always do.) For some strange reason I had a lot of tickets for events I didn't register for. And then I noticed I was missing things. So I took my packet back and, yes, there was a mistake. So I got my correct packet and returned to my room. 

As I was unpacking, there was a knock at my door. I opened the door to a very nice security guard who told me I was in the wrong room. Ok. Wrong packet and now wrong room. Hmmmmmm!!

To be honest, it didn't take me long to figure out what was wrong. Several years ago when I visited the OGS Library in Bellville I picked up a pen to enter my name on the sign in list. Much to my surprise, I was already signed in. Yup, there was my name!! That was the day I met the other member of OGS that has the same name as me.

So now we are both at the same conference together. This should be interesting. Can't wait to see what happens when they start calling the names of the winners of the door prizes and raffle tickets!!  

See! No matter how seasoned you are. . . No matter how many conferences you have attended. . . . .There is always something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment