Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Gettin' Ready For The Conference

It is that time again. That week before the conference when I start to make lists. 

And then I remembered something. Last year I made a master list so I would never have to create another conference list. Ever!!!

NOW if I could just find the list I would be all set!!

Fortunately, I remembered that I saved it in Publisher on my computer. Once again technology has saved me. Packing will now be a breeze!

Going to Kalahari. This will be the first time I have ever packed a bathing suit for a genealogy conference. And the first time I have ever scheduled time for water park research!!!

I am so glad I did this master list last year. I would recommend that all of you do this. I am going to share a few of the things on my list that probably sound absurd but, trust me, someday you will thank me.

Light bulbs. You know the old fashioned kind so you can see to read. Unfortunately these are becoming extinct and some of the hotels now have lamps that won't let you change the light bulbs. So I have a reading lamp I take with me just in case I need it and I keep it in the car. 

Xtra fold up bags. These are tote bags that fold into a flat little square that can be packed in your suitcase. Sometimes you need them -- sometimes you don't. Just depends on how crazy you go in the exhibit hall and how many door prizes you win. The totes are there in case you need them.

Extension cords. They don't take up much room and sometimes you can be so glad you had the good sense to throw one into your suitcase.

Every charger you own. Only kidding!!  But take inventory before you leave home. 

Passwords. Never leave home without 'em.

Business cards. Even if it only has your name and contact info along with the family names you are researching, it's a business card. I think they used to be called calling cards in the olden days.

Self-stick address labels. These have your name, address, phone number, and email address. You can attach these to all of the entry forms you will come across in the exhibit hall where they are having a drawing for something you can't live without. Saves time and avoids writer's cramp. And who knows you may win something!!

Fitbit. Yeah, you're gonna walk a lot!!

Batteries. Might save you a trip to the store.

Prescriptions. Dont' forget your meds.

See you at Kalahari!


No comments:

Post a Comment