Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Here's a head's up for any Sears Catalogue House Hunters in Northwest Ohio or Southern Michigan.

Sears, Roebuck sold homes in their catalogues from 1908-1940. They were modern homes delivered in a box. Some assembly required! 

These were not just tiny little bungalows. They could have maid's quarters. Front stairs and back stairs. Duplexes. Barns. Garages. A home builder could buy several homes at a discount and, who knows . . . start a neighborhood?

I cannot imagine purchasing a lot and waiting for my new home to be delivered by Amazon. Holy Cow where do I start. I can't even put a bookcase together without a few screw-ups.  

But to be honest I have to wonder how many home owners/purchasers actually assembled their kit homes. I would have to think that they hired builders, especially when we are talking about the larger homes. When you take into consideration  that many of these homes are still standing and in excellent condition today, it stands to reason that professionals were involved in the assembly.

On the other hand I do know that my two uncles built their own homes and I am pretty sure those homes didn't arrive in a box. They were and still are sturdy, well constructed homes. The reason was the walnut wood used in the construction. Even though I am sure they are not catalogue homes, I do have to admit that I have seen several floor plans from Sears homes that look like the houses where my Aunts lived and raised their families. So it would seem the plans might have been copied or used as "a suggestion".
Regardless it was an interesting period of home building in  this country.

This Saturday, June 15, 2019, Waterville Historical Society in Waterville, Ohio, will be sponsoring a homes tour, Historic Homes of Waterville. One of the five homes in the tour is a #102 1/2. It is quite a large home with both a front and a back stairway. The home has been well maintained over the years.

The tour runs from 10am - 4pm on Saturday, rain or shine. Waterville is located south of Toledo and Maumee. There are other possible Sears homes in the area: a Sears #123 across the Maumee River from Waterville and another located west of town in Neapolis (on Main Street next to the beauty salon).



So now the next question is - Do you live in a Sears Modern Home?

No comments:

Post a Comment