Saturday, November 23, 2013

Serendipity and Local Gambling Clubs!

One of the greatest mysteries of genealogical research is Serendipity. It is that moment when you are drawn to a book on a library shelf; or you discover that letter from your aunt that somehow found it's way into your garage sale supply box. Both have happened to me. 

The book on the library shelf in Toledo, Ohio, led me to a grave in Clermont County, Ohio. The letter took me to my great-grandfather's house and property in the same area.

They say it is your ancestors reaching out to you; trying to help you with your research. Sort of like they are saying, "Pick me, Pick me!!"I don't know what the explanation is. All I know is that it happens.

Just recently I was walking into the library in downtown Toledo from the parking garage. I was  drawn into the library store just to the right of the entrance because there were Christmas puzzles under the tree in the window. But, a table of local history books took my attention away from the puzzles. And there it was. As soon as I saw the book, I knew that one of my dad's manufacturing plants would be within its pages.

I was right. 

The book: Illegal Gambling Clubs of Toledo, by Terry Shaffer.

Serendipity might have led me to this book, but the important thing to understand here is that this book is a non-genealogical resource book that provides clues for family researchers. These books are a very important source of information about the lives of our ancestors and should never be overlooked. Ok, I don't consider my dad to be an ancestor. He is my dad, for goodness sakes. But he is still a part of my ancestry.

My dad's manufacturing plant was not a cover for illegal gambling. At least I don't think so. However, now I know that he possibly bought the property directly from the owners who operated some of those not so legal gambling clubs in the Toledo area. 

I cannot wait to find the rest of the story. But that is what genealogy is all about. 

I highly recommend that you take a look at this book. You, too, might find a family member within its pages!

Thanks Terrry!!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment