Thursday, November 22, 2012

Who Do I Thnk I Am

I have been working on my lineage papers for Century Families of Ohio. Just a little labor intensive! In my mind, I know who everyone is and I know  how I am related to all of these people whose names I am entering on all of these forms. So, not a problem -- right? I am beginning to realize that sometimes it is easier to prove ancestors in your family who existed 100 years ago than it is to prove a relative who was in your life 50 years ago. 

I read somewhere that Genesis, the first book of the Bible, is a primary source. Everything after that is hearsay and therefore, a secondary source. I always keep this in mind when looking at the records I am using for lineage papers. How far back does this record go. Can I go back any further to prove this date. If you can't, you have a primary source.
 
You have to put yourself in the place of the person who is reviewing your application And that is difficult. You have to become someone who never heard of you or your family. Then you prove to yourself that you are who you think you are. Yes! Who do you think you are!!

My papers are ready to be mailed. I will let you know what mistakes I made. I don't know anyone who got it right the first time.  Next in line before the New Year will be Settlers and Builders of Ohio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment